Wednesday 7 December 2011

My favourite Christmas song - re-released with Mix-Tape Monday #8 Bonus Track

This blog post has been re-released as part of Boo and Me's Mix-Tape Monday #8. I like to see it as a bonus track but it's probably more of a 'Lazy Git remix'. To join in with Mix-Tape Monday, please click on the badge on the right hand side of this blog.

This was the original blog post :

I was meant to be going to see The Vaccines - one of my favourite bands at the moment - tonight.  However, I'm feeling a bit under the weather so had to give it a miss.  I'm a bit gutted so, as the perfect antidote, I thought I'd do a festive meme and get into the Christmas spirit instead.

It was the beautiful man @SAHDandproud who tagged me in this cheeky little festive meme and it is called 'My favourite Christmas song'.

There were loads of candidates but I've added a further challenge into the mix in that I want to choose a song that I think @SAHDandproud will like.  He explained on his blog that he 'loathes (the usual) Christmas songs' and his choice of song was instead a Christmas Carol, the video of which he appeared in and, by the sounds of it, Cilla Black isn't allowing to be published on You Tube because he yawns in it!

But, do you know what, I think I might have cracked it?! Actually, on second thoughts, if he doesn't like Tim Minchin then I probably haven't.

Recently, the Australian comedian released an excellent Christmas song called 'White Wine in the Sun'.  It's the perfect balance of his brilliant comedy genius with the sentimentality of Christmas.  It never fails to turn on musodad's waterworks I can tell you.  Being a father of two young girls, this is the verse that always gets to me :

'And you, my baby girl
My jetlagged infant daughter
You'll be handed round the room
Like a puppy at a primary school
And you won't understand
But you will learn someday
That wherever you are and whatever you face
These are the people who'll make you feel safe in this world...'

It's those last four lines that do it.


Again I'd like to thank @SAHDandproud for tagging me and I hope I have made him reappraise his views on Christmas Songs.  As always with memes, to keep the dream alive, it's time to tag some more people :

@infantisaurus01 as he's the only dad blogger I know who will be doing the same as Tim this Christmas (the lucky old so and so)

@belfast_dad and @The_Last_Slayer as they've both got great tastes in music and I'm intrigued as to what they'll choose

@Ghostwritermumm as I want to see if one of She & Him's Christmas songs has made it to the top of her list

@marchharetales as I used to sit next to her on the school coach 18 years ago and I've since forgotten what her Christmas song tastes are like (and I don't think she's been tagged in a meme yet so it's about time she was 'initiated into the cult')

9 comments:

  1. Huzzah! A good choice young man! Thanks for giving it some meme big style.
    Peace out brother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I discovered this last year and really love it...

    Isobel Campbell & Mark Lanegan - Time of the Season

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MWHFrXiq-Y

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never really heard Tim Minchin sing before - apart from those very brief occasions he's appeared on Radio 1. I was expecting something more overtly comedic so was really surprised (in a good way) with his emotional depth. Hope you like what I've chosen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was so proud of myself for coming up with an obscure one that people wouldn't know. Damn you! I think we should start a campaign to make it Christmas number one. I heard if you buy it from iTunes in December half the cost is going to Autism charities.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheers for the comments all. Cat - you just can't keep a good Christmas song down. Up for the campaign, I'm going to go and Tweet about it right now! Great cause too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, good choice! It's not one I have heard before but I've seen some of his stuff.
    Have a great Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't decide whether I like him *ducks* DON'T HIT ME!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Each to their own Mammasaurus. Anyway, this is all void now as I have a new favourite Christmas song - YOURS!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't know he could sing! He's quite good isn't he? Fab lyrics. Great choice.

    ReplyDelete